Wednesday, February 4, 2009

AnatomyofaSkirt and the ROBOTS

Today I would like to introduce you to Erin Wilk from Anatomy of a Skirt
of Southwestern Ontario, Canada. I find her robots to be very interesting and unique. You can also find her robots on robotaday.com

What inspired you to make this product?
I'd been making my robots pouches for a number of years, and they were always a fun little addition to my line.... and then one day I added a moustache, and I dreamed up the idea of making one robot, every day! I didn't realize it would take over my life like it has!

What are your favorite materials to use?
I love using vinyl scraps from my purse making... and I just adore industrial felt although I don't get to use it as much with the robots as I do with my purse line.

Who are some etsy artists that you admire?
Oh, there are just so many! I'm currently in love with: MIXCO, NightjarBooks, woodenapples, maudstitch, fidoodle, portraitsofstumps, pidgepidge, Roadside, sarahapple, sheridesthelion.... I've only listed ten, but I could easily list 50!

What is your process in creating your art?
Generally I come up with an idea and then work out how I can make it into a robot- I make a quick sketch and then go to work! Sometimes I do a bit of research, like if I'm doing a historical figure, so I can get the costume right... sometimes my research is as easy as looking hte mirror and making faces to determine how to convery a mood or emotion! Then I'll get to the studio and pick out the fabrics I want to use, and make a prototype.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online